This is a blog featuring my personal stories of food, gardening, yachting, photography, travel and life.

Thursday, February 23, 2017

Introducing the Newest Member of the Family!

Breakfast out with Gammy and I
My god, I can't believe I've barely mentioned this up to now but, sure enough, as I scrolled down the list of my posts, I noticed only one post on my now two year old grand daughter. I suppose that is because I have done all my bragging about her on Facebook AND because for quite sometime, I haven't posted on my blog at all.

Any way, excuses aside, on Febraury 11th 2015, our daughter and son-in-law delivered a beautiful little girl they named Evelyn Elise Abbott. We call her Evie as in Eve with an extra e on the end--Eve-ee!

We knew she was on the way of course though we had no idea whether she would be a girl or boy. We are certainly thrilled.

When Nick, my son-in-law, called minutes after Evie was born, I told him I would be right there. Right there was the hospital in Ballard and it was an hour and a half from our house. Still, as soon as the call ended I was in the car to drive down and about an hour and half later, Evie was in my arms. Where was grandma? At a music conference on the other side of the state. She wasn't able to meet our girl until a day later when I could pick her up and bring her to the house.
Aboard the boat last summer

It has been an amazing experience this past two years. I never knew what being a grand parent would be like. In short, it is an indescribable experience. I can try to describe it (I won't) but anyone who is not a grand parent can't possibly understand the experience or the overwhelming love.

A very recent photo
We have watched as Evie has learned to crawl, to make her first steps, her first words, really most of her milestones to date. What is coolest recentlly has been the incredible increase in her vocabulary, specifically calling Leslie and I Gampy and Gammy. She recognizes us and has attached a name to us. Again, words can not describe the feelings when you hear that the first time. Or, when she come in the door to our house, spots us and runs to our arms.

We just celebrated her second birthday and her second Christmas both of which she was thrilled with. The Christmas story this year is worthy of a posting all by itself.

In short, she is the star of the show, our heart beat, our love and adored by all who meet her. She is adorable (of course we think so, but she really is) and really smart. Oh, yeah, she's coming to visit next week for a couple of days. Can't wait!

No comments: