This is a blog featuring my personal stories of food, gardening, yachting, photography, travel and life.

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Retirement Recognition!


The first of several recognitions for my 33+ years of teaching occurred last night at the Mount Vernon High School. The school board (most of them) were there. Our principal's introduced their retirees and spoke about their accomplishments over the years. My principal, Kris Wollan, spoke about me, then I received an apple with my name and year of retirement on it from the superintendent and then each board member shook my hand and congratulated me. Afterward, the group of about 20 retirees was invited to a reception with pink lemonade and cake and ice cream. Leslie was there beaming at me, with the same look she gave me the first time I laid eyes on her some 40 years ago. We had a glass of punch, shook a few hands and then left. She had a dinner to get to with some of her students and I headed home to watch NCIS reruns and look over the latest details of our trip to Ecuador coming up next month. It was a little anticlimactic considering the number of years those people being honored had devoted to this profession, but I guess it is pretty reflective of the state of education and befits the quiet way most of us go about living our lives. Quietly doing whatever you have chosen to do with our lives and then, quietly walking off into the next phase of life. The real excitement remaining is in the classroom anyway. So this morning I arrived as I always do and will continue to do for the few days left, to do my job, be with the kids, my colleagues and finish packing up my room. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No comments: