This is a blog featuring my personal stories of food, gardening, yachting, photography, travel and life.

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Great Lunch in Stanwood!

Jimmy's Pizza and Pasta Italian Restaurant. Jimmy's? Doesn't sound very promising does it? We were in Stanwood, Washington with some friends to meet one of the stars of the Deadliest Catch a few months back. Our friends knew of a place they had heard was good for lunch or dinner and knowing of no other place to try, we tried it out. We loved it!

Flash forward to last weekend. I had promised a student I would com
e watch him play lacrosse. His games happened to be in Stanwood. Jimmy's! We had to stop at Jimmy's for lunch. Jimmy's is a bit of an anachronism both in its decor, a very friendly staff, but best of all the food is great.

I ordered my favorite spaghetti and meatballs and my wife ordered the ravioli skillet. The waitress asked if I'd like mine baked? I thought a minute and said sure. The dish arrived in a skillet, a plate with a handle on it. I could hear the skillet sizzling. It was red hot with the cheese bubbling over the top. I waded into the plate starting from the edge. The sauce was a deep red indicative of one that had been simmering on the stove for hours. The pasta was perfectly al dente and two enormous meatballs rich and flavorful. My wife's ravioli was great as well, but this time, I won! The ravioli was great but my spaghetti was fabulous. With each main comes a salad choice or either a ceasar or green salad and a thick slab of garlic bread. Neither of us could finish the enormous serving and so we had a delicious second meal.

Stanwood may not be on any of the main routes, but it isn't that far west of I-5. So stop by and try it out. You just might like Jimmy's.

No comments: