This is a blog featuring my personal stories of food, gardening, yachting, photography, travel and life.

Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Election 2020 Venting!

November 3, 2020 has come and gone and, as projected, we still don't know who our next president will be. It is as they say "too close to call" in several so called 'battleground states'--Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Michigan, Arizona and others depending on how you look at it. The tally in several of those states is within a few thousand of vote and some votes, due to how ballots are counted, could swing the decision wildly in one direction or the other. Either way, it is obvious from the way things are going that our country is deeply, deeply divided. Half the country thinks the way our country has been led the past four years is just fine and the other half wants, even demands a change. What is odd to me is that generally speaking every other person in this country believes Trump is on the right track OR that Biden would be too evil to vote for OR, well, for any number of other reasons they can't vote for him. On the other side of the ledger, Biden's fans feel the same way, roughly speaking, about Trump. So, where does that leave us (our country), our position in the world, with our allies and our enemies? Trump has 'governed' the last four years without concern for whether he is making any attempt to pull the country together. He 'rules' using an antiquated style of running a company. It's my way or the highway, or using his Apprentice line--"your fired" if he doesn't like what he hears coming out of those he has hired to work for him. He just dumps them and gets someone else who will agree with him. The idea of working to build a consensus (the modern accepted business model, which allows everyone to feel they have a voice and are heard regardless of the fact that the president has to make the final decision alone never enters his head. He doesn't bother with that. I guess it takes too much time. Consequently, he pisses off half the country and goes through employees like Carter has pills. And what about the lengthy list of his appointees that have wound up getting jail time for illegal activities on behalf of their boss, who protects himself by pretending to be astonished that that could happen while happily throwing them under the bus. Plausible deniability! For me, I can understand he is a fiscal conservative and that attracts a lot of voters who are in business. I get that. What astounds me is that these people are willing to sell their souls to defend their business interests. Its okay that Trump is creepy, that he tacitly gives support to extremist groups that hate people of color or non-Christians or the LGBTQ community by never coming out and condeming them. He treats women like toys, has no use for the LGBTQ community, and while he claims to be a Christian, he in no way reflects the true Christian spirit (unless you count the old testament). I could go on but of course, you've heard all the complaints a million times over the years and none of it seems to make any difference to half the poulation of the country. Then there is the matter of how he treats our traditional allies in the world. How he has buddied up to tyrants around the globe. He has ignored climate change advocates, crippled environmental laws that undermine our water and air qualiites. Recently he even opened up mining in a pristine area of Alaska that had been protected for many years and opened an area of old growth forest for use. I have never been more ashamed of being an American in all my 67 years. I thought I'd seen some teerrible presidents along the way--Tricky Dick Nixon, Bill Clinton, George W., but trump takes the cake. As for me, I will continue to vote in every election as I have since i was first eligible. I still have that right. But other than that, I hearby resign as a citizen of this once great country. Until people wake up from whatever delusion they are so enjoying and move back into the column of nations trying to make the word a better place, I am going to just hide out in my little progressive bubble here in Bellingham and enjoy whatever positives life has in store for me for however many more years I have to enjoy them. I wish you all well. Good night and good luck.

No comments: